Residential Care Information
California Code of Regulations for RCFEs — See Title 22, Division 6
Assisted Living Waiver — Medi-Cal program that pays for Assisted Living in target counties
Assisted Living Consumer Alliance — a national coalition
Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRC) — CCRC information from CANHR
Continuing Care Retirement Facility Information — California Department of Social Services
Find a CCRC in California — (pdf)
CARR — California Advocates for RCFE Reform (San Diego & Imperial Counties)
Legal Service Providers
- California Community Care Licensing Division Facility Search — Dept. of Social Services
In–Home Supportive Services
Community Based Care and Services
- Senior Legal Hotline — Provides California seniors with fast, accurate advice on any legal subject by phone and internet.
- LawHelpCalifornia.org — Provides low-income Californians with easy online access to basic legal resources and attorney information.
- CALegalAdvocates — CALegalAdvocates.org is the on-line community for the legal services and pro bono programs in California.
- Bet Tzedek Legal Services — Elder Law in Los Angeles County
- Disability Rights California (formerly Protection & Advocacy, Inc.) — To protect and advocate for people with disabilities
- H.E.L.P. — Provides information, planning and problem-solving services on legal, governmental program and healthcare related issues that specifically impact seniors.
- National Senior Citizens Law Center — Legal help for seniors and Medicare beneficiaries.
- Western Center on Law and Poverty — Western Center on Law & Poverty fights for justice and system-wide change to secure housing, health care, racial justice and a strong safety net for low-income Californians.
- Neighborhood Legal Service Provider — Neighborhood Legal Services is a steadfast advocate for individuals, families and communities throughout Los Angeles County.
- CANHR's L.R.S. — For elder law issues, CANHR's own lawyer referral service
- L.R.S. by county — For issues other than elder law, lawyer referral services programs listed by county
- Campaign for Justice — Advocates for increasing funding for the important network of legal aid organizations that give a voice and representation to Californians who need help accessing justice.
Medicare, Medicare Part D & Long Term Care Insurance
- California Community Transitions Project
This program works to identify eligible Medi-Cal beneficiaries who have resided in a nursing home, subacute, acute care facilities, and intermediate care facilities, for a minimum of six months or longer and will be returning to the community. Lead organizations contract transition coordinators who help individuals transition from facilities to community settings.
- Multipurpose Senior Service Program — MSSP provides social and health care management for frail elderly clients who are certifiable for placement in a nursing facility, but who wish to remain in the community.
- Programs of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly — PACE provides and coordinates preventive, primary, acute and long term care services so older individuals can continue living in the community. Serves Alameda, Contra Costa, Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Francisco, Santa Clara, and San Diego counties.
- Home Health Compare — Detailed information about Medicare certified home health agencies from the official Medicare site
- Western Region Geriatric Care Management — Professional Geriatric Care Managers (PGCMs) can guide families through professional consultation/counseling, prioritizing needs, developing customized care plans, setting up services and referral to resources.
- Community-Based Adult Services — CBAS replaces the Adult Health Day Care program in California. It provides necessary medical and social services to individuals with intensive health care needs.
- Long-Term Care Alternatives — include an array of home and community choices that allow persons with disabilities to avoid unnecessary institutionalization.
- Lake & Mendocino Counties Senior Resource Directory
Medicare Part D:
- HICAP— Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program – California Health Advocates
- California Health Advocates — Information about Medicare and options for covering health costs not paid for by Medicare.
- Center for Medicare Advocacy
- Medicare Administration
- The Medicare Rights Center
- Health Services Advisory Group — Medicare Appeals - California's QIO
Long Term Care Insurance:
- Health Consumer Alliance — Has fact sheets on the Medicare Part D for prescription drugs
- Medicare RX–Connect — Links to information on the new Medicare prescription drug coverage
- Families USA
Careers in Aging
End of Life Issues
- California Dept. of Insurance
- California Dept. of Managed Health Care — HMO Help Center explains your rights and how to use your health care benefits. You can file a complaint or grievance.
- The Office of the Patient Advocate — Resources for assistance with HMO issues.
Emergency Response Information
- Caring Advocates — A national, not for profit membership organization which gives support to wives, husbands, and partners of the chronically ill and/or disabled.
- California Coalition for Compassionate Care — A statewide partnership of over 60 regional & statewide organizations dedicated to the advancement of palliative medicine and end-of-life care in California.
- Silver Alert is a response system for the suspicious disappearance of an elderly person. Upon activation of a Silver Alert, the California Highway Patrol will assist the investigating law enforcement agency by issuing a be-on-the-lookout alert, an Emergency Digital Information Service Message, or an electronic flyer.
- Adult Protective Services is an agency to help elder adults 65 years and older and dependent adults 18-64 when they are unable to meet their own needs or are victims of abuse, neglect and exploitation.
Page Last Modified:April 24, 2019