Justice in Aging has issued the second in a series of policy briefs exploring how California’s current assisted living system addresses residents’ health care needs, and how the system could be modified to better serve residents.
KQED reports: Many on Medi-Cal learning that the state can file a claim against their estate after they die. Read the KQED storyListen to the PBS Newshour ReportSB33 is the bill that would reform the Estate Recovery program.
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has released proposed regulations that would make it even more difficult for veterans and their spouses to access VA Aid and Attendance benefits.
On Tuesday, March 24, state lawmakers will be grilling Department of Public Health officials once again on their failures to investigate nursing home complaints and to keep nursing home residents safe from harm.
Justice in Aging has issued the first in a series of policy briefs exploring how California’s current assisted living system addresses residents’ health care needs, and how the system could be modified to better serve residents.
CANHR Releases “Your Right to Leave”: a Guide for Battling Forced Placement in Long-Term Care FacilitiesCANHR has posted a new free guide for long-term care consumers, “Your Right to Leave” a guide to the rights of long-term care consumers to be free from false imprisonment.
Attorney General Kamala Harris today announced that Valley Springs Manor owner Herminigilda Noveda Manuel and administrator Edgar Babael were charged on fourteen felony counts of elder abuse for abandoning the residents of their facility.
In this Issue
- AB 927 (McCarty) The Nursing Home Ownership Disclosure Act of 2015 Introduced
- AB 601 (Eggman) Introduced to Strengthen Disclosure and Suitability of RCFE Ownership
- Victory for Center for Investigative Reporting: Public Disclosure of Citations issued to Facilities for Developmentally Disabled
- VA Proposes Controversial Regulations on Aid & Attendance Eligibility
- Governor Proposes Major Increase in Nursing Home Rates with No Accountability
- Governor Seeks Hundreds of New Positions for Department of Public Health
- DPH Leadership Transition Underway
- CMS Improves Nursing Home 5-Star Ratings
- Administration on Aging Publishes Final Long Term Care Ombudsman Regulations
AB 927 (McCarty) The Nursing Home Ownership Disclosure Act of 2015 Introduced
On February 26, 2015, Assemblymember Kevin McCarty of Sacramento introduced AB 927, a CANHR sponsored bill that directly responds to the Sacramento Bee’s remarkable three-part series in November 2014 on the performance of California nursing home chains.