Last year, the legislature changed the daily minimum nursing hours that California nursing homes must provide to their residents. SB 97 was a budget bill developed behind closed doors with no consumer input. It was not subjected to traditional legislative deliberation, which often strengthens policy by inviting diverse perspectives, identifying flaws, and developing fixes. Legislation, like anything else, that is made in the dark, is typically riddled with holes. SB 97 was no exception.
A new study from the Journal of the American Medical Association concludes that the highly touted National Campaign to Improve Dementia Care has not accelerated a pre-existing decrease in the use of psychotropic drugs in nursing homes.
In this Issue
- Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Sava Nursing Home Chain for Dumping Residents
- NY Times Spotlights Bad Nursing Home Discharges
- California’s New Nursing Home Search Website Dangerously Misleading
- Human Rights Watch Report Finds Widespread Human Rights Violations in Nursing Homes
- Governor’s Budget Proposal to Increase Funding for LA County Department of Public Health Moving Forward
- Department of Public Health Issues Guidance Letters to Nursing Homes
- Tribute to Chuck Finney, KALW’s host for “Your Legal Rights”
- New Medicare Cards
Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Sava Nursing Home Chain for Dumping Residents
Sava Senior Care has been sued in Santa Clara County Superior Court for dumping residents to motels or other highly unsafe and inappropriate places.
IHSS is a statewide program administered by each county to provide those with limited income who are disabled, blind or over the age of 65 with in–home care services to help them remain safely at home.
My brother suffered a stroke and is in a Skilled Nursing Facility. I am concerned about his quality of care.
DPH has issued citations to The Rehabilitation Center of Bakersfield for dumping residents under horrible circumstances. In the first case, the facility dumped a resident whose Medicare-funded rehabilitation was terminated.