On August 12, 2018, Politico reported that Karen Smith – the Director of the California Department of Public Health – has ownership interest in Brookdale Senior Living, which operates many long-term care facilities in California, including 10 nursing homes that are regulated by Smith’s Department.
In this Issue
- Leg Alert! AB 2850 Weakens Nurse Aid Training Requirements
- It’s Almost Like a Ghost Town, Most Nursing Homes Overstated Staffing for Years
- Department of Public Health Adding Another Loophole Allowing Nursing Homes to Evade Minimum Staffing Requirements
- Raging Wildfires Cause Mass Evacuations of Assisted Living Residents
- Vulnerabilities in the Medicare Hospice Program Affect Quality Care and Program Integrity: An OIG Portfolio
Two female residents were sexually assaulted on March 28, 2014 when a male certified nursing assistant (CNA) penetrated their vaginas with his finger while providing personal care.