An Advanced Health Care Directive (also known as Power of Attorney for Health Care) allows you to appoint a healthcare agent to make healthcare decisions for you (the principal).
Plan Ahead – Be Pro Active:
- Create a Durable Power of Attorney for property.
- Create an estate plan or update your existing one.
For more information contact: Pat McGinnis, Executive Director, CANHR(415) 974-5171 firstname.lastname@example.org Anthony Chicotel, Staff Attorney, CANHR (415) 974-5171 email@example.com FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE San Jose, CA – Sava Senior Care has been sued in Santa Clara County Superior Court for dumping residents to motels or other highly unsafe and inappropriate places.
How to Recognize Financial Abuse
1. Transactional Elder Financial Abuse Indicators
- Investments in unsuitable financial products, time shares, or real property
- Larger than necessary loans against home equity to finance investments
- Inappropriate banking activity such as unusually large checks or withdrawals from automated banking machines
- Signatures on checks that do not resemble the elder’s signature
- Legal documents signed when the elder is physically incapable of writing
- Checks written out to “cash” being negotiated by caretakers
- Checks signed by the senior but filled out by someone else
- A surge of activity in accounts which have been static for years
- Expensive gifts made by the elder
- Checks or credit card transactions made out to direct mail or telemarketing promotions
- Contributions going to newly formed religious or non-profit causes
- Correspondence indicating the elder has won or will soon win a prize
- Threatening correspondance proporting to be from the IRS or a government agency demanding immediate payment under the threat of being arrested for non-compiance
Who will manage your property if you become incapacitated?
Incapacity means the inability to make rational decisions regarding one’s financial affairs and personal care.
Incapacity means the inability to make reasoned decisions regarding one’s financial and personal affairs. It can befall anyone who suffers a traumatic brain injury or experiences a mentally debilitating illness.