Overview of Assisted Living/Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFEs)


What is a Residential Care Facility for the Elderly?

Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFEs) — sometimes called “Assisted Living” (e.g., 16+ beds) or “Board and Care” (e.g., 4 to 6 beds) — are non–medical facilities that provide room, meals, housekeeping, supervision, storage and distribution of medication, and personal care assistance with basic activities like hygiene, dressing, eating, bathing and transferring.  RCFEs serve persons 60 years of age and older.  This level of care and supervision is for people who are unable to live by themselves but who do not need 24 hour nursing care.

Searching for a Residential Care Facility for the Elderly (RCFE)


Consumers often contact us for assistance in selecting a long term care facility. CANHR does not provide referrals to specific RCFEs or other long term care facilities, but there are several resources to assist consumers in searching for an RCFE.*


Access to Medical Records in California Nursing Homes

Residents of nursing homes and their families have the right to access the resident’s medical records.1 Facilities and health care providers must provide medical records to the resident or family member within a short period of time, as specified by law.

Transferring Your Home with a Transfer on Death Deed (TOD) – What You Need to Know

A law that became effective January 1, 2016, creates a Revocable Transfer on Death Deed (“TOD Deed”) as a way for California residents to transfer residential property to named beneficiaries, effective upon death.