How to File a Complaint and Get Help

Updated Friday, June 30th, 2023


How to File Complaints

Use the RCFE Fact Sheet Filing Complaints (pdf) and the RCFE Complaint form (pdf). There is also a listing of Community Care Licensing Offices (pdf), the regulatory agency for RCFEs, where you can mail your complaint.

Also consider filing a complaint with the local Ombudsman Office.

‘ Where to Go for Help

Contact CANHR at 1-800-474-1116 (Consumers only) or (415) 974-5171.

Contact the local Long Term Care Ombudsman Program to assist in filing a complaint to the regulatory agency. The Ombudsman is a resident advocate. An Ombudsman poster should be posted in every RCFE that gives the address and phone number of the local Ombudsman Program and states a Crisis Line Number (1-800-231-4024) that residents can call after hours and on the weekends or visit the web site at

Contact the Community Care Licensing Office. To find your local district licensing office, download the list (pdf) from the Department of Social Services’ website.

If there is known or suspected elder abuse, contact the Ombudsman Program, local law enforcement, and the Office of the California Attorney General at (800) 722-0432 ( or mail to BMFEA, P.O. Box 944255, Sacramento, CA 94244-2550.

In addition, send a copy of your complaint to the California State Legislators who represent your district (